Read the following guide to restart Firestick. You can use these steps for other Fire devices like Fire TV Cube, Firestick 4k, and Firestick Lite.
Firestick is a treasure of entertainment. You can stream unlimited movies, TV channels, sports, news, live TV, and whatnot!
But what if the app you are accessing stopped working? or Your device started working like a tortoise?
Don’t worry! You can quickly reboot your Firestick and resume your streaming experience.
Here, in this article, I have explained three different ways to restart Firestick/Fire TV.
Easy Ways to Restart Firestick Device
Sometimes, you may encounter an issue you can’t understand. The first thing you should do is to reboot your Firestick. It might help you resolve the case.
Even after you shut down the app on the Fire device, your device keeps it in its memory log. It keeps on using the RAM that might cause your device to work slower than usual.
When you restart the Firestick, it clears the long-term software data of the device that will make the apps run faster. You can use the space to install more apps.
1 – Reboot Your Firestick/Fire TV Using Settings
You can use your Firestick remote to access the settings of the device and reboot Firestick.
It is one of the easiest ways to restart Firestick. However, to perform these steps, your Firestick remote needs to work perfectly so that you can navigate the device with ease.
If your Fire device is frozen and not responding to the remote commands, you can skip this method and try the other two ways I have mentioned below.
If everything is normal, follow the below-mentioned steps to restart Firestick in 50 seconds:
1. On the home screen of your Firestick, go to the menu options you see in the center of the screen. Select the Settings option.
2. Look up the My Fire TV option and click on it.
3. Move down a bit and Select the Restart tab.
4. When you see this screen, click on Restart once more.
5. The system will initiate the process to restart the device. You will see ‘Powering Off’ written on your screen while it starts.
And, there you are! After a few moments, you can access your super-fast device and enjoy your favorite content.
Do you know that there’s a recent update for Forestick users? The interface of your device might differ after updating your Fire TV.
Let’s see how this process would look on the new interface!
Restarting the Firestick With New Interface
The process of restarting won’t change much, but the appearance of the icons might change. These steps work well on Fire TV Cube 2nd Gen, Firestick Lite, or Fire TV Stick 3rd Gen.
1. Go to the Settings option from the main screen of your Firestick and Click My Fire TV.
2. Move down and select Restart.
3. Select the Restart option again when you see a pop-up like this.
4. The rebooting process will start automatically.
Wait for a while till the process gets over.
Voila! You have successfully rebooted your Firestick device. Here’s how the main screen of the new interface would look:
2 – Restart Firestick Device With Remote
If you are not able to navigate the process smoothly, you can use the Firestick remote to control the device.
With the help of the remote, you can press a few buttons and restart Firestick remotely.
Here is how you do it:
- Whatever screen you are on, use the remote and press the Pause/Play and the Select key at the same time for a few moments.
- You will see a message on the TV screen stating, ‘ Your Firestick 4k (or the name of whatever device you have) id POwering Off.’
- After a while, your Firestick 4k will restart and start working as usual.
Remember: If you have a VPN connection on the Firestick device, rebooting will turn it OFF. Hence, don’t forget to connect to the VPN again after the restart process ends.
Why Use a VPN?
Many Firestick users install third-party apps to stream free content like movies and TV shows. Streaming copyrighted content is a serious offense. Your Government and ISP monitor your online activities, and if they find you streaming such content, you’re done!
That’s when VPN comes into the picture. It’s a Virtual Private Network that saves you from prying eyes by creating your anonymous identity on the internet.
That’s why I recommend using the best VPN for a safe streaming experience.
Express VPN is one of the best VPNs that will serve this purpose. It comes with a 30-day guarantee, so if you don’t like the service, you can always ask for a refund.
3 – Unplug Power Source to Restart Firestick
This is probably the easiest method to restart Firestick. Many people use this trick, but I recommend not using this method until the other two don’t work.
By unplugging the power cord, you can stop the power supply to the device, and when you turn it back on, the device will restart.
This method is helpful if your Firestick is frozen or none of the above-mentioned tricks work.
Please remember that you need to wait about 30 to 40 seconds before you plugin again and switch on the device.
Give it a moment to load all the menus and apps, and you’re good to go!
How To Clear Cache on Firestick?
If your Fire device is not working well, full cache memory could be one of the reasons.
Both your device and the apps you install in it contain a cache of saved data that uses space on your device. And overloading of this memory might result in a slower performance of the device.
Here are four quick steps to clear cache from a particular app on your Firestick. Later, you’ll also find steps to clear cache from an entire device.
Clear Cache Of A Specific App
- Using the Home key on your remote, go to the main screen of the Firestick.
- Hover over the options and select Settings.
- Go to Applications and choose the Manage Installed Applications option.
- Search for an app you want to clear the cache of and click on it. Select the Clear Cache option from the same screen.
If your device is still working slow, try the following steps to remove the entire cache memory of your device.
Clear Cache Of Entire Firestick Device
- Start the device and go to the home screen of the TV.
- Select the Settings option from the main menu and select My Fire TV.
- On the next screen, select the About tab and then Storage.
- You will see how much space is available. If there’s very little storage remaining, you should clear the cache memory.
I hope you would have found this article useful if you’re stuck with a slow Firestick.
If you’re a beginner at Firestick, I recommend you must check these popular tutorials below.
- 1 Easy Ways to Restart Firestick Device
- 2 BONUS!
- 3 How To Clear Cache on Firestick?
- 4 Wrapping Up